Sunday, July 1, 2012

DIY Project: Ring Display

Dear Wallet Ring Holder


I heard about the Dollar Tree $5 Challenge from another blog, and was so excited! Partly because I've been itching to craft lately, and have been so uninspired to do so. And partly because I always thought it would be cool to do a project entirely from one store (insert Project Runway addiction). I was so excited, that I ran out to my closest Dollar Tree immediately after reading the rules. Unfortunately I not only came up empty handed, but uninspired as well. Thankfully the boyfriend came up with an idea to check out The Other Dollar Tree the next day. A much larger, much better stocked, and much more inspiring store 30 minutes away. So I went home and scoped out the Dollar Store Crafts site and was shocked and amazed at all the goodies I saw on there. Determined to not only come up with something cute and easy, but functional as well: something that I could use every day I restarted my search the next day. That's when I saw the zen garden and inspiration (finally) struck! A ring display! My rings have found themselves all over my room and bathroom, in various 'trees', jewelry boxes, and plate displays. I needed something large enough to hold all of them, but easy to get them out, and see at the same time. A ring display would be perfect. My mind started going, and after a carrying around $20 worth of goodies, I narrowed it down to four. A set of (3) washcloths in super soft and pretty green microfiber, a plastic frame, a pack of pencils, and a ball of twine. $4. And I got to work. Joining me was a hot glue gun, scissors, and wire cutters (optional)-all on hand. [note that the zen garden didn't make it home with me..]




$5 challenge from the dollar tree


1. Remove the glass and mat from the frame. I chose a 5x7 because it was a decent enough size to fit a lot on, without being too huge for my dresser. I also chose a frame that had a thicker inset so the ring rolls wouldn't push out past it too far. The first step was to wind the string around the frame, there are many ways to do this, you can glue the front and wrap it messy, or pile it on at random, or layer it neatly as I did by simply holding it tight and wrapping it patiently and gluing occasionally in the back of the frame. I did the sides first, leaving the corners to last. When I got to them I simply wrapped the string left to right slowly covering the corner and creating a neat layering pattern (see pictures). My boyfriend liked it better with black showing through, so really you can wrap it however you prefer it!


Dear Wallet Ring Holder


Dear Wallet Ring Holder


2. Next I glued the back of the frame (the part that hangs/easel) to frame. This created a tray basically to glue my rolls onto. I glued the top and bottom first, and the sides after I finished. No real reason other than I forgot. After this I chopped the pencils in half using the wire cutters. You can use anything to cut them, you can even go hulk and break them in your hands. Doesn't have to be perfect, it just creates a stronger roll and gives you something to roll the fabric onto.


Dear Wallet Ring Holder


3. I took the first washcloth and folded it in half, this way it was just slightly longer/wider than the hole it was going to fit into in the frame. I placed a layer of glue onto the pencil, placed at the edge of the washcloth and started rolling. I only rolled about 1.5 times, gluing at the end. I cut the roll away from the rest of the washcloth, gluing the inner layer to ensure it stays in place. Not entirely necessary but makes it slightly easier to work with.


Dear Wallet Ring Holder


4. As you can see in the picture below, I basically folded the ends in to place in the frame, and rolled it into position at the edge of it so that the folds went under neath the roll. I glued as close to the bottom of the frame as I could to keep in place on both sides of the roll.Dear Wallet Ring Holder


5. Continue steps 3 and 4 until you get to the bottom of the frame. My rolls were about 1.5 cm each. I used 2 washcloths exactly, and 5 pencils to create 10 rolls total. Make sure you push them together when gluing so they tightly packed into place to hold your rings!


Dear Wallet Ring Holder


What I learned:
-You may not like the towel idea. I chose the washcloths because I loved the color and I swear these are the softest towels ever! Luckily Dollar Tree has a wide assortment of towels, clothes and blankets to choose from!
-5x7 was the perfect size! I can hold all of my rings, with plenty of room for more ;) and it looks great on my dresser!
-If I could do it over, I would cut off the edging on the towels. They didn't like being folded over and give it the messy-ish look in the pictures. Which I don't mind, it just took longer to deal with, and figured I'd mention to the blogsphere so they can get cleaner looking rolls in their own versions =)
-The pencils worked like a charm, the only non-preferable thing about them is they were slightly shorter than the width of the frame, which doesn't seem to affect how it holds the rings, but if you have something longer, or more pencils than I had on hand to cut the correct length I would try it!


Now, your turn! Can't wait to see your versions and suggestions! Have you made your own item for the $5 challenge? I'd love to see it, make sure you link it!
•project may be linked to a party, check the link tab to see which!•


ariana neala dear wallet

19 comments:

  1. Very cool! Thanks for sharing! I like how it stands up and doesn't take up too much space that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That's what I love about it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] inspired by my $5 Dollar Store Crafts project (See my Ring Display here), that my mother decided to try her hand (and imagination) at it as well! So we headed down to the [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. superb idea.. You're a genius! Thanks for linking up at Friday Fun Party.. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for stopping by and your sweet comment!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea for a cute, fun, inexpensive organizer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! If you make one: I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a fram i.love and no pics in it! Tlim doing this for sure!! :)
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! Make sure you send me a picture when you're finished, I'd love to feature it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you'll be back this week.
    -Mackenzie
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for hosting and stopping by! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a clever idea. Great way to keep your jewelry in place. Thanks again for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it looks awesome and cool..i love it..i love making some crafts too..thanks that i have found your blog..great ideas..

    towel rings

    ReplyDelete
  14. When your website or blog goes live for the first time, it is exciting. That is until you realize no one but you and your.
    Display Easel

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, questions, and suggestions so leave me some love- I read and respond to everything! =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...