Friday, October 7, 2011

DIY Project: Mail Organizer

Dear Wallet,

I lost the mail today. And then the car keys, and then my shoes. Oops.

Signed, Aria

First ever DIY project on Dear Wallet,! Not to be a killjoy, but it's not a brand new tutorial. In fact it comes from my OLD blog (Lillian Pearl Designs). You can check out the orignal post there, as well as a few others that may or may not eventually make their way over to this blog! I have a long list of to-do's, but wanted to start you out with something that's not only cheap and easy but super helpful as well!

mail organizer dearwallet, Insert the Mail Organizer. I know what you're thinking, a DIY project to organize the MALE in my life?!Oh you weren't thinking that? Oh the other thing...that those stacks of unopened mail that you have in every corner is not only cute (hello free decor..!) but also aids in the avoidance of bills (yay...more bills?)..ya..me too. I too have fallen victim to the adorableness that is junk mail, until I realized if I put it somewhere that created an eyesore I tended to do something about it. Like pay the bills and throw away said junk mail.*shockterrorblasphemy*  It sounds crazy, but it works! I tried a basket, which worked just fine. Until I needed the I needed the real estate for my growing vase collection. So I wanted something for the wall. I googled, and goodwilled, and shopped till my head hurt (is that possible?). But then one day I found a frame, and it all fell into place.


mail organizer frame dearwallet

Insert old ugly frame lacking glass. For some reason this gem was still sitting in my craft box waiting to bethrown away DIYed into a new life. Here's what you need:

Frame (mine was 11.5"x9.5"-but your's can be whatever works for you)
I needed sand paper, nails and wood glue because it was falling apart
Spray paint (I used white)
Screw hooks (I used four)
Cardboard/mat board
Spray mount
Fabric and scrapbook paper
Hot glue (or guerilla glue, or your favorite strong glue!)

Said frame was made of wood laminate and falling apart. So the first thing I did was sanded it lightly for prepping and used the nails and wood glue to put it back together. After which I reattached the hanging hook so it could hang in the correct format (horizontal). I placed the screw hooks by eyeballing it, however I suggest measuring. After this I took it outside for a coat or two of spray paint.

mail organizer dearwallet

While the frame was drying I started on the inside of the frame. First measure the opening of the frame and cut a piece of cardboard to fit. I used spray mount to place scrapbook paper on it, folding it over the back and gluing in place. (Like a present!)

mail organizer dearwallet

Then I cut two more pieces of cardboard half the size of the orignal, height wise. (Mine were 3.5"x9" each), then get your fabric out. Lay it out and spray mount the cardboard on one side, pressing it on the fabric. Then spray the other side and fold the fabric over so it fits tightly on the 'top' edge, and leaves about an inch overlap on the bottom, and side edges.

mail organizer dearwallet

When everything is dry you can begin assembling. First measure where you want your 'files' to go. I decided since mine were 3.5" high, to measure 3" from the bottom of the frame so the top file would hide slightly in the bottom file-I used a pencil to draw a line. Using the glue, I attached the 1" overlap of fabric to the board above the line (so that the board edge was touching the line, and the fabric was flat above it-see pictures)! The bottom piece will attach on the very  bottom of the bigger board in the same way.

mail organizer dearwallet

Once the pieces are assembled and dry, place it inside your frame. Carefully pull the files out of the frame through the front, until they are where you want them.  (Mine are no more than an inch away from the board, it creates a tight pocket with plenty of opening to place stuff). Cut the fabric down in the back (if needed) and glue into place. Close the frame up, and attach to the wall!

mail organizer dearwallet

You could easily add ribbons, buttons, and tabs to further customize this project! The project cost me NOTHING, because I had everything on hand! Now let me see your versions!

mail organizer dearwallet,

8 comments:

  1. so cute! i love step by step diy projects and you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, glad you enjoyed it! There will be many more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This actually answered my drawback, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made certain good points in features also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I?d should check with you here. Which isn't something I usually do! I take pleasure in studying a post that can make people think. Additionally, thanks for allowing me to remark!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would you be concerned about exchanging hyperlinks?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post. I be taught something more challenging on completely different blogs everyday. It is going to at all times be stimulating to learn content material from other writers and follow a bit of one thing from their store. I?d want to use some with the content on my weblog whether or not you don?t mind. Natually I?ll provide you with a hyperlink on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey thanks a lot for sharing this post. I was searching for articles to buy hanging mail organizer and i came across your post. It looks very unique and beautiful. Many thanks once again :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, questions, and suggestions so leave me some love- I read and respond to everything! =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...